Monday, February 2, 2009

What an awesome day

Seems like I've gotten into a rhythm with this blog thing; first a blurb about the band, then the studio, then I post about whatever it is I feel like talking about. So, here goes:

The Band:

I recorded vocals for the demo on Thursday. I re-did "How Do You Like Me Now" and "Ten Feet Tall". Keith had re-recorded the drums and went over my guitar a couple of weeks ago and also added a bass guitar track using my Danelectro Longhorn with the PA as an amp. I'm not all that excited about how it turned out, but no matter what, I think we'll try and use it to get some gigs. Once the studio is done I'm definitely going to try and re-do it all ourselves, because, simply put, I'm not proud of what I've heard so far.

Kenny added the same effects on my voice to all 4 songs (a ton of reverb and some sort of chorus that makes it sound pretty tinny). It sounds pretty good for all the choruses, but in slower, more mellow parts, it doesn't fit. He did let me record an echo track and some background harmonies and staggered choruses on Ten Feet Tall.

Anyway, he's going to give us his finalized 4 song mix on Thursday, so if nothing else I'll post at least a clip up here so you can hear what I've been babbling aboot.

The Studio:

I built a stage to get Keith's drums off the ground, and while it doesn't do a $&%^$&#&%*ing thing for soundproofing, it looks sweet and adds some good storage underneath. I also received the 6 Star Wars movie posters I plan to hang on the walls. I've gotta get off my ass and go get the filing cabinets I need to hold the remaining gear I have to buy to get completely ready to record.

Miscellany:

If you lived in Austin, how f'n AWESOME was Sunday? It was one of the best days I've had in months. I woke up next to a beautiful girl, went home and had a good breakfast, then went up to Reagan High School and played touch football for a couple of hours. It was absolutely GEORGEOUS outside (upper 60s, slight breeze, sunshine). After that, I went and had an awesome sushi lunch at Maki. Then I went to Home Depot and bought some stuff for my yard (some fruit trees and Rosemary bushes). I got home and planted it all, then cracked a beer just as the Super Bowl started. I sat out on my patio and watched the first half, then, after a great enchilada plate at La Palapa, went over to a friend's for the 2nd half. I got home at like 10 and crashed out. What a day. Hope yours was the same.

5 comments:

Ojo Rojo said...

Who was the beautiful girl? You are moving too fast for me to keep up.

Snake Diggity said...

Short lived reconciliation.

KB said...

I miss Austin, but I think I would turn into either a bum, a drunk, a druggie, lazy person, or a combination of all. I feel I might be in the right place for me right now, even though I don't like DFW. Fort Worth is nice. I went and had a beer with some guys after class last Saturday. We sat on the patio of Flying Saucier. It was an awesome patio afternoon. I was looking around downtown FW in particularly the tourist, and I said to myself what I usually say. "I really like downtown FW. It's laid back, and clean. But I wouldn't come here to visit."

Ojo Rojo said...

Comments are fucked up on your song post, so I'll post 'em here.

1. To me, the song starts out too slow, too tentative. From a fan's point of view, we don't mind a bit of an intro - we like hearing those first familiar notes, in fact - but unless it's an Epic "Yes" intro or something, what we really want is for you to hurry up and get into the meat of the song and especially the chorus.

2. I also thought some of the timing or the tuning or something was a little bit off on a few notes in intro. Not bad, but noticeable.

3. If I could put into a word what I think you guys need to make this professionally awesome I'd say, "refinement." The song construction and the lyrics are awesome, but they need just a little refinement to sharpen it up, trim the fat and eliminate the mistakes. Same goes for your voice. There are times when I hear an awesome voice in there and other times when it feels like you are trying to find the right note. I've marked improvements from when you started and I think with practice it'll get there.

4. A lot of the refinement might be in the production value, I don't know. I didn't like the chorus effect at all and I could still hear things that seemed to be out of timing or out of tune, which I would think should be fixed in post.

The bottom line is that you guys are literally oozing talent. I think the only thing standing between you and gigs or fame or whatever qualifies as success is just refinement through more time spent doing it. These recordings should be really good to help you figure out what you need to work on and change.

Stevenson Road said...

Thanks for the encouragement Ojo