Monday, February 9, 2009

Ten Feet Tall

Despite the fact that I don't think it's very good, I'm putting this song on here for a few reasons:

1. I'm tired of promising something and not having anything for anyone to listen to.
2. I want to give y'all some reference to what I've been blogging about for the last few weeks.
3. I want feedback.

Download the track here (got tired of it autoplaying whenever anyone looks at the blog):

http://www.audiostreet.net//artist.aspx?artistid=61310

So, as I said before, I'm not all that pleased with the way the 4 songs we recorded turned out. I knew it wasn't going to be professional quality, so I was hoping for something just good enough to send out to the people who book shows at bars in order to secure some gigs.

There a couple of good things about this song. First, I really like the way the guitar sounds. To me, it's a perfect cross between Old 97's "Jagged" and the main guitar on the Counting Crows 2nd albums. Second, I like the way the drums sound. They were miced correctly with quality equipment. They get soloed at the right times and Keith did a great job. Kenny did a really good job mixing the instruments.

My main problems are with the vocals. They ruin the song. For one, it sounds like the same effects as are used for Down Here Together; they're too tinny and clanging sounding to me. Also, I didn't get to record until I got the perfect take because we were rushing. Maybe my voice just sucks so bad the only way to make it bearable is to pile on those fx. That is certainly plausible.

The worst thing about it is the background vocals. I think Kenny went for a sort of punk, off-key equal volume chorus thing. I wanted the background vocals a lot further in the background and more synched in and subdued. He deleted the harmony background I sang, which was good because it sucked, but I would like to go back and take the time to do it right.

Considering how much time he spent (a few days), he did a great job, but all in all, I think we should re-do this and couple of other songs before we pound the pavement trying to get gigs.

3 comments:

Rimas Kurtinaitis said...

I think it sounds pretty good. I like the tone of the guitar. I'd actually like to hear the drums be a little more crisp, like the sound on the Wallflowers album "Bringing Down the Horse" (or whatever fuck it was).

The vocals are okay but I agree about how the background vocals were handled. I'd prefer the effects get more subdued on the chorus when your voice gets more "throaty" and full on its own. I'd like to hear a more layered approach on the verses.

Overall I think it sounds pretty good. The song plays better live than it does on this recording, but I'd probably shop this around to try and get a few gigs while you work on something that sounds closer to what you hear in your head.

Rimas Kurtinaitis said...

I just thought of a better sound for the drums I had in mind -- Thermadore. doom to DADada doom to DADada "As I roll down this road I once called freedom..."

Stevenson Road said...

Good suggestions, but I think we gotta start from scratch.