Monday, December 1, 2008

Studio Construction, 3rd Gig Ever (maybe-kinda), yada, yada, yada

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving. Mine was GREAT. Nothing like family, food, and football.

So, I came into some good luck last weekend. While driving home from Whataburger, I spotted a roll of almostbrandnew carpet in a dumpster. Coincidentally, and luckily, Keith was driving by right as I stopped, so he helped me fish it out and haul it to my house.

Last night I glued the tack stripping and laid the padding in order to install carpet on the studio floor. Brittanie helped me haul the gigantic piece of carpet in and (kinda) unfold it. It looks to be more than large enough and in near perfect condition. This is awesome as it saved me about $400 since I don't have to buy it new. I hope to be finished cutting, placing, and stretching the carpet as well as putting in trim by Thursday so that we can practice before playing in POC this weekend. There's no doubt that munching carpet is much more fun than installing it.

All that's left after that is putting in carpet on the ceiling, putting in molding, and furnishing the studio with a desk, futon, small fridge, cabinets, guitar racks, etc. Then I'll throw down a couple grand for the gear (ProTools interface ($1400), Sennheiser 421 mics ($400ea), a Vox AC15 tube amp ($800), Fostex monitor speakers ($400), a PC with a flat panel monitor ($600), a mixer ($400), a Fender P-Bass ($400), an upright piano (free on CL), an Ampeg B-15 Fliptop Bass Amp ($800), and a Manley ELOP ($2000)). So, there's still a lot to do, but I'm excited to get it all done.

------

Yesterday I got a text from a friend of mine whose parents-in-law own Schroeder Dance Hall asking if I wanted to play there over the Christmas holiday. I am waiting to hear which dates they have open, but I think it'd be a great time. So, there's a chance of a solo acoustic gig in the next month or so. Stay tuned, and if it goes down, I expect all your asses there to drink beer in the saloon with me.

That's all I got for now. Hope to see all y'all in POC this Saturday!

7 comments:

Ojo Rojo said...

That would be awesome if you played Schroeder. I took Audra there Saturday night to see Reckless Kelly. I learned that I'm not so much of a Reckless Kelly fan, but it was fun.

Rimas Kurtinaitis said...

I'll do everything in my power to make it to Schroeder if you play there.

Stevenson Road said...

There are basically 5 places I've always dreamed of playing:

1. Main stage at ACL
2. Waller Creek Amphitheater at Stubbs BBQ
3. Madison Square Garden
4. Letterman
5. Schroeder

Douglas said...

I'd like to hear you sing a song ABOUT Whataburger. I love Whataburger so much I bought a t-shirt.

And If OJO becomes your agent and you get mega rich and then go all "Britney Spears" and yall get in a family feud...can I have the book deal?

Snake Diggity said...

Billy,

"OutWhataburgered" is already penned, just waiting on the melody to come to me. I too have a Whataburger T-shirt.

I can't wait till I'm big enough to have Ojo file for a conservatorship over me or whatever.

Douglas said...

http://www.mcgarrahjessee.com/

those folks do some of the advertising for Whataburger...maybe you should send them a copy of your song once you record it. could be $$$

Stevenson Road said...

I've always thought I'd make a great jingle writer.