Tuesday, November 18, 2008

(more) Recording

Sorry (Matt) the post is a day late. I promise to post every Monday as long as the band is together.

Anyway, this one will be short; my day job is killing me.

So Kenny came over on Thursday and we laid down tracks for "Short Wheel Base", "How Do You Like Me Now", and "Ten Feet Tall". Next Thursday we will record "Have a Good Time" and "Mission to Mars" and then re-record tracks for any of the songs we need to fix. So, when it's all said and done, in a few weeks (8 or so I imagine), we should have a dem0 EP that looks like this:

1. Ten Feet Tall
2. Waste My Time
3. Down Here Together
4. Short Wheel Base
5. How Do You Like Me Now
6. Have a Good Time
7. Mission to Mars

We got a sneak preview of the work Kenny has done on Waste My Time and Down Here Together. I was really pleased with what he had done on Down Here Together. My voice has never sounded so good on a recording. Ever. He added a ton of reverb to make my high pitched whine have this fuller, further away sound. LIke I said, I was pleased. I think the track would sound really, really good if we were able to add bass, lead, and background vocals tracks. Kenny still had a lot of work to do on Waste My Time.

I'm getting really motivated to go into debt and finish the studio so that I can work on these thigns myself. We'll see.

Ok, hope you're having a good week. Thanks for reading. Take care.

3 comments:

Stevenson Road said...

So, I looked up the definition of EP vs LP vs single. Apparently, a single is defined as 1 song, usually accompanied by a B-Side consisting of up to 3 additional songs (usuall at least one of which is a different version of the single). An EP (which stands for "Extended Play") is usually 4 songs, but is defined as less than 30 minutes in total length. An LP (which stands for "Long Play"), is anything more than 30 minutes. I am almost certain that if all 7 songs we record make it on whatever we produce, it would be longer than 30 minutes. Therefore, it would be considered an LP, or in layman's term, an album. A better idea may be to just take the 4 best songs and have it as a demo EP.

Rimas Kurtinaitis said...

four minutes for a pop song is pretty long. To get over thirty minutes your songs would have to be longer than 4 minutes each, and they probably shouldn't be. I vote 5-7 song EP.

Stevenson Road said...

Heheh, easy on the head.